Things You Didn't Know About MSM Writers - And Their Wives

In the course of the last few days, I was asked by a client to do research on the personal lives of several big media writers, syndicated columnists and sundry internet pundits. Not only was the assignment highly challenging, but I now have the added advantage of giving my blog readers a sampling of all the dirt I managed to dig up. So bring out the popcorn, sit back and enjoy.

I could write a small booklet, if I focused on all the aspects of my research. But since this is a tiny blog, I would like to put the spotlight on one recurring theme which I found in writer after writer - Their wives. Most, if not all, political correspondents and opinion columnists, have wives who are, or were, working in the Administration at some point of time. Before I pontificate on the physcology behind this, I'll list a few sample cases.

Exhibit A : George Frederick Will ( Political Columnist - Washington Post )
Was married to one Madeline C. Marion, whom he divorced in 1991. Just before the divorce, he purchased a new house a few blocks away from his home. And his belongings were found dumped on the street in a pile, with the sign "Take it somewhere else, buster!" Link.
After a rumoured affair with Lally Weymouth, he then married Mari Maseng, a lobbyist for the 'Japan Automobile Manufacturers' Association, Inc.'. Mari Maseng Will, it seems, was a Reagan speech writer and communications director for the Dole campaign. She operates a lobbying firm called Maseng Communications. I'd dearly love to share more, but that would be crossing the line...

Exhibit B : Ronald Brownstein ( Political correspondent - LA Times )
On May 7th 2005, he married Eileen Nicole McMenamin, who is now a communications director for Senator McCain. Which means that if McCain becomes President....

Exhibit C : Jonah Jacob Goldberg ( Syndicated Columnist )
This is one MSM writer who's not only surfing on his wife's achievements, but the sad fact is that the only reason he's a columnist today is because he hung on to his Mom and took a free ride to celebrity based on her own stardom. The facts? His Mom - Lucianne Goldberg - One of the players in the Clinton-Lewinsly scandal. His wife? Jessica Lynn Gavora, a Washington, D.C. writer. And senior speechwriter for Attorney General Alberto Gonzales. And chief speechwriter for former Attorney General John Ashcroft. And senior policy advisor at the Department of Justice....

I could go on and on and fill a couple of pages of exhibits like this. But my point, which I think I've made, is that I find this marriage of media and politics fascinating from a couple of angles. First, is the fact that it seems to be a symbol of the writers' arrival among the MSM stars, to be able to marry one of these administration speech writers or communication directors - A sort of trophy wife. Second, it goes without saying that the careers of both partners goes into an upward arc after the marriage. Despite any protestations of innocence, the fact remains that politicians and editors will be handling both husband and wife with kid gloves, in order not to annoy the other partner. The combined power of an MSM column and a staff position in the Administration or Congress can never be underestimated. Even the implied and unstated power.

No comments: