Exploring Writers Block

Do I have writers block? Not really. It's all under control. So why would I write about it? It's a known fact that writers with writers' block write about writers block. Sorry. That was cheap. What did happen was that I stumbled into a shining example of how writers block turns a respected and nationally known journalist into an ultra-trashy trailer trash writer.

Michael Kinsley writing in the Washington Post, says "For the ultimate in solipsism, check out Twitter.com, a site where -- once you register -- you can answer the question "What are you doing?" At 7:47 am on Monday, for example, Lynda was going to get a glass of cold water.

This raises more questions than it answers. Did she get it? Was it cold enough? Tragically, we'll never know until someone starts a site about what you were doing before what you're doing now. Or possibly an interactive site about what you are going to do next after you finish doing what you're doing now. There could be multiple options. People could vote. Hey, someone call Google. We're rich!"



Please, Mr. Kinsley. The twitter.com example was good enough. But then you had to go and raise your foot high and shove it into your mouth. This is what is known as writers block.

It was darn hard to find these examples, but I reckon it was well worth it. Tells you what not to do, when you're staring at a blank screen and nothing comes out.



http://www.stephengallagher.com/writersblock.htm
"Writers' block is a difficulty of the proven practitioner, not the wannabee who can't. The kind of block I'm talking about is the kind that real writers get."

Every word he says, drips with the fact that he's suffering from writers' block and just wants to bloviate on it, to write something, anything. Notice how he seems to repeat what he's saying, couched in a different way.
Do not repeat and expand sentences.

http://www.7nights.com/asterisk/archive/2004/09/overcoming-writers-block

"The Web runs on good content, yet good content has to be written..."
"As well, I like to keep the content flowing here, even if at times I need to go off-topic or throw out a half-baked post."
"..I need to keep writing and to keep writing I need..."
"I love to write. When I began this site a few years ago I had no idea I’d love it so much."
"This is important."


He's repeating himself in the same sentence, again and again. Terminal stage.
If your site has nothing to do with writers' block, why mention it?

http://www.googobits.com/articles/1002-quick-tips-to-avoid-writers-block.html
"But how, you ask, does this affect me? Well, you ask possibly the greatest question ever asked since questions began."

Asking a question and then not answering it. Big mistake.

To wrap it up, I need to touch on a couple of issues. If you're thinking about writing a column on writers' block, then most likely you have the disease. Secondly, I mean no disrespect to Mr. Kinsley or any of the other renowned authors mentioned in this post. Mr. Kinsley also makes the point, in the same article, when he says that "There is something about the Web that brings out the ego monster in everybody.". I totally agree, and even though I have been mean and nasty, I'm hoping you'll be able to see the lighter side of it, specially the pic. Bears an uncanny resemblance to Mr. Kinsley.

Finally, I have a bit of advice for those with writers block. Read the news. Read magazines, read books. Read anything. Eventually, something will ring a bell deep inside. Trust me.

No comments: